ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) has released a list of toxins that is deemed to be harmful to pets. Since we share the same ecosystem, it is highly likely for our pets to be exposed to our daily “life- ingredients” that include food, medications, plants, insecticides, herbicides, to name a few. Some of us are ignorant of the harmful effects these materials usher on our pets. Given below is a list of toxins as categorized by ASPCA, based on the calls received from pet owners:
1. Human medications: Watch for over-the-counter medications like ibuprofen, acetaminophen, antidepressants,etc. that our furry friends could accidentally ingest.
2. People Food: Grapes, raisins, onions, and garlic can cause kidney failure, anemia complications in dogs. Xylitol, a sugar alcohol used to sweeten sugar free gums, mints can cause liver failure in dogs. Keep your pets away from chocolates and more importantly the darker ones. Methylxanthines in chocolate are harmful to pets and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and death.
3. Insecticides, Rodenticides, household cleaning supplies & Herbicides: Rat baits, insecticides, and other herbicides have to watched for pet interventions. Other household cleaning supplies like bleach, acids, detergents, alkaline batteries should be in secure place away from pets. Always look for ‘pet safe’ products and/or follow label directions.
4. Indoor and outdoor plants: It is spring already and people will be busy with their gardens. Lilies, saga palms, rhododendron, azalea are toxic to cats and dogs. Also, keep your dogs away from toxic lawn products and garden tools too!
If you have any reason to suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, please contact your veterinarian or ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center’s 24-hour hotline at (888) 426-4435. A $65 consulting fee may apply, a portion of which is covered by ASPCA Pet Health Insurance, if you have one. More information can be found at ASPCA.